Wednesday 1 August 2007

Today is a venting day…


Okay, so today is just one of those days I guess...

I went to one of our pounds to pick up two of the sweetest dogs you have ever met.

Ziggy is a 6 year old aussi shepherd x bassett hound with the most gorgeous eyes. He is good with other dogs, LOVED my kids and seems quiet and well behaved. They even know who his owners were. So WHY has he become a Project Jessie guy? Because his former people didn’t want to spend the $25 it would have cost they to bail him out of the pound. Grrrrr!!!!
Obviously he will be better off with a different family who can love him more and appreciate what he has to offer.

What I still can’t understand (even though it happens ALL the time) is how someone can live with an animal companion for a long time, and then throw them away for a frivolous reason???
I don’t get it! I mean, I get attached to my foster guys even when they are here for a very short time.

The other guy is a heart breaker. We have named him Piper and boy is he a cutie! He is a bit older, and incredibly dirty. He is going to need a good scrubbing and a bit of a “polish up”, but is he ever a lovely boy!Piper looks like a big black teddy bear, with white, speckled feet. He is incredibly obedient – knows stay, sit, down, shake a paw, and other commands. Obviously someone spent some time with this big guy at one time – so why was he found in such a neglected state, wandering the dusty roads?

There are so many times that I wish they could talk!

Today, I am also having Lenny neutered. This is the first year of fostering, that I have had a litter of kittens from birth to needing to be spayed/neutered. And I have THREE litters where this is true!
Cat/kitten adoptions have been so slow this year, and ALL of the shelters are drowning in kittens. Poor little guys! They all deserve good homes of their own and there are so many lovely kitties looking….

Why can’t people just understand how important it is to spay and neuter their own cats?!?!?


I actually lost it yesterday with a woman that I met at the vet. She said,”Oh! I understand that you are a rescue person, right?” She then proceeded to ask if I would help her place a litter of kittens. She had DELIBERATELY bred her female, so that her kids could see the “miracle of birth”. Now she had 4 kittens left from a litter of 5 and was having trouble finding them homes. Duh!!!
If you want to see the “miracle of birth” how about fostering for a rescue group or your local shelter?
If you are deliberately breeding so that your kids can have the experience – how about taking them down to the pound on euthanasia day so that they can get the whole picture?
I guess the “miracle of death because there is no space left” isn’t nearly as appealing…


Looks like it is going to be a kind of day!

3 Comments:

At 8 August 2007 at 17:16 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really shouldn't say this but there is something appealling to me about the "miracle of death" -
maybe if we could get that phrase into the lexicon of daily useage people might step up and take some responsibility for what they do

hang in there you do great work!

andrea

 
At 30 October 2007 at 12:54 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTtvgN You have a talant! Write more!

 
At 1 November 2007 at 22:38 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

D7KmfN The best blog you have!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home