Saturday 24 October 2009

Things are looking up I think!?!


Wow - send vibes to the universe and sometimes - just sometimes - things start going your way!

I probably shouldn't say that out loud - I might jinx myself...

Anyway, some really nice things happened this week (and a couple of not so nice things too).

First the best stuff.

I *think* that beautiful Miss Alice has a really nice home to go to - hurray! If all goes well, she should be moving in with her new people early next week. Awww - I am so happy for her! She is such a gentle, ladylike girl and she is joining an older couple to be their spoiled only cat. I think it will be a lovely place for her. :o)

Dear Tomten finally found the perfect place as well. A lovely couple drove 3 hours to come and see him. He will be sharing his home with Trixie - another senior chihuahua and they seemed to get along right from the start. It was so cute seeing them bump heads and sniff - both with their little tongues hanging out to the side (neither has any teeth!).
Of course I was a bit sad too. He has been with me for 6 months and to see him change from a terrified, snapping ball of insecurities into a lovely gentleman has been lovely. The ones that have to come the farthest are hard to let go however. Ah - the hard part of fostering!

And the nice lady who came to see MollyW and Ginny did come back to adopt them. I am so happy!

Mr.P fit in super well with his new kitty friend and has been renamed "Buster". Much better!

Felix has totally endeared himself to his new family and Elliot has totally forgotten that he was a scaredy boy - now he asked for affection and stands with his head upside down in your hand. (shhh - don't tell him his going to be neutered next week!)

And big OJ (who came out of the shelter the same time as Felix and Mr.P) has gone into a home too. He has been renamed Jasper - which I think is just perfect for this big buff fellow.

Okay - with all the good news - you know there had to be some bad stuff...

The little lady above is Delilah. I got a phone call yesterday that went something like this:

"Hello - is this Project Jessie? I got your number from someone who said that you take injured stray animals?"

"Ummm - that's not really what we do - but what is the story?"

" Well, I found this cat...
She has been hanging around for a few days but this morning I see that she is dragging her leg so I went out and got her, but I can't find anyone who will help her and we can't keep her because we are really allergic to cats. But she is really sweet and I wouldn't want to see her suffer...."

Long story short, I asked this good Samaritan if he would drive the cat to one of our vets (almost an hour away from him) and we would see what was happening.

The vet's named her Delilah because she is "de lilac" pointed siamese you see above. It turns out she has a broken leg - the break is just below her knee so kind of a tricky place to fix and we will need an orthopedic expert. She was covered in fleas, is very thin and was ravenously hungry. I would assume she was dumped by someone and not really able to fend for herself. Poor girl!

Why is her leg broken? Well, there are puncture wounds on her leg - probably she was bitten by something (coyote? dog?) and it bit hard enough to break those skinny leg bones but she managed to get away somehow.

She has the sweetest disposition. Even with her leg broken (which must be horribly painful!) she was never crabby with the vets or anyone who helped her. She was kneading her blankets and purring even as she was being examined. What a lovely girl!
Stay tuned! It seems we are looking at an expensive surgery to fix that leg but she is young and sweet and should be able to recover very well from it.

Well - we can't have ALL good news can we!?!
(Although I would like to try that for awhile!)
Thanks for listening!
Shelly and crew

1 Comments:

At 31 October 2009 at 14:34 , Blogger DreamScape said...

What would the innocent do without your wonderful team? I am so happy to hear that Delilah is getting the special care that she needs. That all of the animals who so need love, compassion and a safe haven are finding all of you. I truly wish that here in the Canadian North we had such a wonderful group as yourselves. My work here continues for a comprehensive Animal Protection Act, and while progress has been made in that the GNWT is actually taking pro-active steps towards that goal now, the process is extremely slow and in the meantime animals continue to suffer greatly through neglect, abandonment and horrific abuse. Delilah's story is a miracle, I continue to "Hope" for a miracle here. Bless all of you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home